Monday, January 11, 2010

Dripping Sweat.

We are in a heat wave here at Many Glacier! It was 41 degrees today. The part that stinks though is how slushy everything is. Yesterday, Jeff and I spent most of the day watching football. There were too many games on to get much else done. I wandered outside for a while, but unfortunately was mostly a homebody. The sun was shining yesterday and the wind was definitely blowing. The bright side to being indoors though is that I finally sat down with the avalanche gear and learned how to use it. We have locator beacons, shovels, and probes, but I don't ever plan on actually having to do a rescue! I read how to do a rescue anyway and then made Jeff read it. It doesn't do me any good if Jeff doesn't know how to rescue me. Later, I finished yet another book and am now on to the next.

Today was quite warm, as I mentioned above, and very gusty! We were hoping to make it to the Post Office, but the weather was quite disagreeing. Instead, Jeff and I spent all day working over at the hotel. We have decided that the lake is no longer our preferred route for travel. There is about six inches of slush on the lake now and a huge chunk broke off by the bridge. I'd rather be a wuss and take a longer trek to work than be brave and fall through the ice. It is supposed to be warm all week. Everything is melting and the mountains are looking quite bare. I wonder when the sheep are going to come back.

No comments:

Post a Comment