Friday, December 11, 2009

Good Samaritans


Well the temperature is slowly going up. We have officially hit double digits again. The bad news is the wind. It is outrageously strong and cold. Thursday, Jeff spent the day at the hotel readying the second floor of the annex for painting. I am not qualified to actually repair things over there which made an easy day for me. I got to stay home. Unfortunately, now there is painting to do, so no more sitting around for me. I did get the Christmas cookies made, and Jeff and I spent a while painting the cookies with colored icing. I had my pile of cookies painted in probably twenty minutes, but Jeff, being the artist that he is, took over an hour. To each his own.


Yeah, the Steelers suck. No, I don't want to talk about it.


Today was a half decent day, so we decided to make a much overdue trip to the post office. We got lucky and were able to drive within a half mile from the gate. That's where we hit the snowdrift. You would think we would have this figured out by now, but I guess we don't. Yep, we got the car stuck. And, being the intelligent people that we are, we did not replace the broken shovel in the car from the last time. So, we spent a while (less than 30 minutes, so not too bad) using ice scrapers to clear the hard-ass snow from under the tires. We got the car out and bundled up for the long walk to the post office. We figured we would be walking, so we were prepared. We hiked less than a mile when a wonderful man named Jerry picked us up and drove us to the post office. Jerry was out chopping down a Chirstmas tree. YAY! We had to sit in the post office for an hour until the lunch break was over, but that was much better than walking for that hour. Let me tell you about the conditions of the road. The road is mostly clear, but there are these ridiculous snow drifts all over the place from the non-stop wind. So anyway, we got our mail at the Post office, packed it into our packs, and headed out. This time, we had the icy wind blowing straight in our faces. We made it about a mile when two more wonderful men, out picking up their trees, stopped to pick us up. Charlie and Carl actually turned around and drove a few miles out of their way to help us out. Talk about holiday spirit! Needless to say, Jeff and I got off very easy!


We are now back in the safety of our cozy cabin and are watching Dirty Jobs. Life is good.


P.S. Thanks to Pattie for the great Steelers and 49er's santa hats. Too bad the Steelers forgot how to play football. Oh, right, I'm not talking about that.

2 comments:

  1. It's people like Jerry and Charlie and Carl that reaffirm my faith in the human race!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Heidi,
    I can not imagine having to hike to the Post Office....your area is so beautiful though that that makes up for all the hardships.

    I am not sure if you want more people to read your blog....but if so, you should check out http://asoutherndaydreamer.blogspot.com/2009/12/129-outdoor-wednesday-48.html A southern Daydreamer. She does an outdoor Wednesday thing and everyone posts their pictures. Your pictures are some of the most beautiful ones I have seen. I do it every now and again....I have met a lot of very nice ladies doing Outdoor Wednesday.

    ReplyDelete