Friday, April 9, 2010

Goat research ain't so easy!!








This last week has been very eventful so I will try to keep this entry short. As I left off last time Eric had left and a goat research team had made their way in to stay at the ranger cabin. The group was Stefon, Nick, Weez, Deborah, Kelly, Renee and Lishu. The weather has been pretty crappy for the last month so they were definitely in for a tough go of things. They were out here to ground dart a female goat and this terrain in not the friendliest for ground darting a goat. As they explored the area they were not to optimistic about their chances of getting a goat in a safe area for the animal and the crew. I went on a couple of their scouting hikes but then had to go back to work. The third night they were here they had me over for dinner and I brought some boxed wine(that's all I had to offer). A couple of days later I had all of them over for dinner and we had a blast, all of us boys were the boozing night owls and the girls hit the hay early. After two more days the guys came by again and we had some drinks and told stories, come to find out that Nick and I were at Coast Guard bootcamp together and knew a lot of the same people. The guys left the next morning and on the way out they found A huge Moose antler shed, both sides which is rare. They let me know that it was up by the entrance station and very close to the road. The plows had been in and I figured that more and more people would be biking the road so I told the rangers that I would go get the rack and put it at the entrance station house so they could have it for park use and that way no one could get in trouble for trying to take it out of the park. I couldn't resist taking a couple of pictures of myself with the rack and I have to say that those things are heavy! On my way back to the cabin there was a mama and baby moose by the road so I was able to get some great pictures of them as well. The next two nights the ladies came over and cooked dinner for me and we watched movies, Lord of the Rings was the unanimous choice. I had to go get my mail so I gave them a ride to their cars the next day and they took me to lunch at Duck Lake Lodge, they were all so nice and I really appreciate all of their company and generosity. It is just me out here again and the storms have really been beating on the newly plowed roads, right when I am expecting a big package in the mail. I have made many claims that spring is here but mother nature is just shoving that right in my face. All of March and so far April have been the worst months of the winter. I feel kind of bad for the plow guys because they have to get the parking lots and access roads cleared but if they have to keep clearing the main road it will never happen. Vic and Allie are heading this way for the weekend and I am very much looking forward to their visit. They will be hiking out and I hope that the weather will cooperate with their stay. I am happy that the moose are back but I am still eager to see some bears. Til next time!

1 comment: