Tuesday, March 9, 2010

Theeerrrrre baaaaack!




It has been a great week and I am pretty sure it is going to keep getting better. First of all I would like to give a final clarification on the stuff that I found out by the dead goat. Last week I said it was bear poo but that was wrong. Sumio was here for a few days and he is somewhat of a goat expert, he said that goats have four stomachs and that whenever a predator eats a goat they always leave the stomach contents behind. So that is that. While Sumio was out there he let me know that he saw grizzly tracks so that sparked my interest in that trail once again. He was also lucky enough to get a picture of a linx over by Swiftcurrent Lodge, what a rare treat! On Sunday I took off towards Grinnell lake to see if I could check out the grizzly tracks. When I found them I couldn't believe how big they were! I decided to follow the tracks as far as I could and after about five hours of trails, trees and rock I lost the tracks. Along the way the bear had got a hold of a ptarmigan, dug some huge holes and sniffed out a rabbit killed by a coyote. I was bummed not to see the huge beast but it is nice to know they are awake and wandering around. As I was tracking I saw two Northern Harriers which I've never seen before and that was a neat experience. They are stunning birds with a call that sounds like a kitten crying loudly. The lake is no longer safe to cross and the snow was almost gone until I received five more inches between last night and this morning. Overall I really enjoyed this week of hard work and nice weather, I am glad to see some more snow. Following the bear is one of the highlights of my winter and it took me off trail to some beautiful places I would of never thought of venturing. I hope you enjoy the pictures as much as I enjoyed taking them.

2 comments:

  1. Just remember with a grizzly to play dead, if anything :) be safe (Patty do not read :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Did Sumio get any good goat shots?

    How to tell if a griz track is big it so measure the front pad. If it measures 6 inches (side to side) across the front pad (fresh track) it's a mature bear. Mark 6 inches on something you carry with you all the time and put it in the track when you find one.

    I'll be up in your neck of the woods soon. . . check out this goat shots, guess where it's from?

    http://www.tonybynum.com/Wildlife/Recent-Mountain-Goat-Image/8276137_PUfPX#541736248_xXoEa


    BTW, if you want to keep track of what's going on out along the glacier park front, you can check my blog if you want. . .

    www.glacierparkphotographer.blogspot.com

    Cheers!

    ReplyDelete