Sunday, February 21, 2010

Going for a Ride with Elvis




So, I got these photos from Shayla and wanted to share them. These are the pics from our last trip into the Many Glacier Valley. Lucky for some of you, I have refrained from putting the pics of the dead goat on here. However, if enough people ask for them, I may be able to be persuaded to put them on.
Upon returning to Whitefish, I took the train out to Portland to get my car. It was a fourteen hour train ride (which is nothing compared to the forty-five hour ride I took back in the fall), and I arrived Thursday morning in Portland. Unfortunately, I don't have much to say about the crazies on the train since it was an overnight train and most of them were snoring away. The weather in Oregon was ridiculous. It was 60 degrees and sunny! It took a little work getting Elvis (my car) up and running, but he's feeling much better now. Jeff's parents, Dave and Pattie, and I enjoyed a nice jaunt around the neighborhood then Mexican food and margaritas later that night. I took off early Friday morning to make the long drive back to Montana. Isn't it interesting that it takes the train four hours longer than it takes me to drive? That just doesn't seem right.
So, I'm back in Whitefish and this time I have some wheels to get me around. This will definitely make getting into the park much easier! Yesterday, Jimbo and I took a ride out to Tally Lake. It was an unusually bright blue day, and I couldn't stand the thought of staying inside. Apparently, Jimbo likes to do things the hard way because he led me down this snowy, rutted out road for several miles before we finally got to the lake. Once we had arrived and my nerves had settled a bit, we walked around the lake for a while, taking in the sunshine and fresh air. We departed from the lake (the easier way, from the other side that required only a half mile on snowy roads) and headed to the Stillwater Bar. Here, we were able to enjoy the beauty of another frozen Montana lake, this time with beers in hand. I love Montana! We saw no wildlife on our outing (boo!), unless you count the locals at the bar (only kidding). I miss having bighorn sheep for neighbors!
Well, I think the plan is for me to head into the park tomorrow morning. I will be heading out to either Many Glacier or Two Medicine. I will keep you posted on the happenings! Hopefully, there will be some good wildlife reports.
As a side note: I hope I don't bore you with non-Many Glacier stories. I will try to keep my blogs strictly about the outdoor world in Montana (except, of course, when there is a crazy redneck festival to report on).

No comments:

Post a Comment